I began blogging back in 2009, when it was seen as a “hobby,” for bored wives and for writers who were finally getting the chance to reach out to the world on their own. I met a lot of people, I discovered a new career and I learned one important thing: “always, always go the source.”
It might surprise you how every platform and software we use to blog (social and blogging platforms, plugins, software to blog and code) have great tutorials on their sites. So my humble advice is: before going gaga searching for “how-to’s” on Google or YouTube, go to the source!
That being said, this WordPress Toolkit is meant to guide you if you’re feeling a little bit lost.
How Do WordPress Themes Work?
You’d think choosing a theme is pretty easy; you go through the ones available for free and start from there. But, two things will happen:
- You’ll want something less or something extra
- You’ll need to know how WordPress Theme work
Here are three links to the source that are going to blow your mind:
For the love of God, nature, Beyonce or your pet, I beg you to read those links. It’s like learning the abecedary before trying to write a word.
Which Is the Perfect WordPress Theme?
I used to spend hours and days searching for the perfect theme, purchasing the perfect theme… but those come with updates we need to eventually buy too, and our individuality comes with the inevitable, “Yeah, …, but I think I want to add a menu, change a color, etc.”
The perfect theme, for you, is the one you’ll design because you’ll always something more. So, here’s my humble advice (for now):
- start by choosing the latest WordPress theme or the one of those (also from WordPress) people download the most and which continue having updates; I’ve tried them all! To this date, nothing compares to the Twenty Twenty Theme (great coding to learn, easy to customize)
- then make it yours by adding changes with CSS, with my tutorials; check out the topic #TwentyTwentyTheme.
- and then you could go further by creating a Child Theme; for this, check out the topic #TwentyTwentyChildTheme
Which Plugins Do I Definitely Need?
Of course, it depends on what you’re going to do with your website/blog. Here at WPtoolkits/Plugins, you’ll find the ones that are essential to every blog and a couple I personally recommend.
More to come asap. Stay tuned!
[Last Update: June 27, 2021]